Trucker’s Hitch Knot – Easy Step by Steps
Trucker’s Hitch Knot is a composite knot made up of several knots. This knot makes hoisting things vertically easier. It is a block and tackle system of pulleys with multiple uses. It is useful for tents, tarps, tying things onto trucks and sleds, etc. On paper, this system needs a 3:1 ratio of knots to lines. However, in practice, the ratio is reduced to about 2:1. You can make this entire thing with just one long piece of rope. Interestingly, this is not a hitch, even though the name suggests so.
Trucker’s Hitch Knot Steps
Here is a step – by – step guide to prepare the knot-
- Attach the line to an anchor. Make sure the hitch or loop is sturdy.
- Secondly, make a directional loop close to the anchor, facing away from it. This loop is where the weight will attach.
- Take the loose end through the loop at the weight attachment point.
- Run the loose end through the same loop again
- Pull the end towards the weight. Doing this will bring the weight closer and tensions the system. This step finished the Trucker’s knot itself.
- When you have reached the desired tension, secure it with some half hitches. You can hold it in place by pinching together the strands below your pulley.
- Now, lay the loose ends across the two strands, forming a loop.
- Bring the loose end below the strands.
- Run the loose end through the loop created, and pull on it to tighten it.
- Repeat the last few steps to create more hitches and loops.
- Up to 3 hitches will secure your weight completely.
Some Other Related Knots
- Versatackle- Another similar system, it uses two loops and several other turns. It gives higher mechanical advantage and increased friction. Therefore, the system self-locks tighter and secures itself when pulled.
- Quick Trucker’s Hitch – A faster version of the one taught here; it can secure more massive objects like logs, etc. This method does not have the loose ends; many pieces can attach along the entire length.
- Poldo Tackle – Another system is the Poldo tackle. It leaves no loose ends of the rope and uses both ends. Objects can be tied closely together using this.
The effectiveness of Trucker’s Hitch Knot has undergone several tests over time. According to the results, this system is extremely efficient and effective. However, it works best for slippery and non-stretchy lines. This system is customizable as per your needs and highly versatile. Hence, it is prevalent in rope work circuits. Trucker’s Hitch Knot system has hundreds of diverse uses. For people trying to learn knots, this one is a must. Also, because once you learn it, you can modify it as per your needs and requirements. Moreover, it very helpful for camping and other adventure purposes. Learning this one can serve you a myriad of uses. You can even combine this with other knots. Make use of this mechanical block and tackle system to carry and load weight.