Disasters can always happen anytime and anywhere. They strike so suddenly that it leaves us not enough time to prepare and to ensure our safety. Emergencies like these can often have a significant impact on a single home, a city, a state, or even a whole country. These are often natural disasters such as earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, wildfires, and tornadoes. It is for this reason why people should prepare an emergency survival kit that will help them survive in the event of a natural disaster.In this article, we’ll talk about how to prepare an emergency survival kit that will ensure your life’s safety during a calamity.
Include Standard Supplies In Your Emergency Survival Kit
Any emergency survival kit must have a couple of standard supplies that will ensure your safety and comfort in times of a natural disaster.
Two of the essential items that an emergency survival kit should have are a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Aside from these two, you’ll need to include the following questions as well:
- Whistle – you can use it to catch the attention of emergency rescuers or responders quickly.
- Phone charger or power bank – you can use it to charge up your dead phone.
- Extra cell phone – you can use it to call for help.
- You might also include blankets, extra clothing, money, plastic sheets, matches or lighters, and protective masks.
Emergency Food Supply
Your emergency survival kit should also include food supply that should last for a good 2-3 days. The emergency food supply should be enough to feed everyone in the family for 203 days until help comes. Here’s how you should prepare an emergency food supply.
- It’s important to store food that won’t perish or expire soon. This includes dried fruits, dry cereals, nuts, crackers, and powdered milk.
- Store foods that are also good in providing energy such as peanut butter and granola bars.
- Canned goods are also more suitable for emergency food supply since they last longer. Canned foods also have a sufficient amount of nutrients and protein to give you strength and maintain good health in times of emergencies.
- If possible try to store fish, vegetables, and poultry in cans and add some preservatives to them so they can last longer.
- If there’s a baby in the family, don’t forget to include baby food and powdered formula for the baby.
- Lastly, don’t forget to include utensils and the incredibly handy can opener when storing food.
Any emergency food supply will not be complete kit if you don’t store a sufficient amount of water for you and your family. Along with your food supply, your water supply should be enough for everyone in your family for 2-3 days. A single person will need to drink at least a gallon of water every day; you’ll need to keep that in mind when storing water for everyone.
First Aid Supplies
Injuries are sometimes inevitable in times of a natural disaster or an emergency. This is why you must also include a first aid supply in your emergency survival kit.
- Keep first aid supplies that allow quick treatment of minor injuries and infection. This will include bandages, tweezers, alcohol, alcohol wipes, sterile pads, latex gloves, needles, scissors, and antiseptic. You’ll also want to add a thermometer in there, too.
- For preventing infection, you’ll want to include creams, antibiotics, antihistamine spray, ibuprofen, acetaminophen, topical corticosteroid cream, and burn ointments.
- You can also choose to include sunscreen and bug spray in case the natural disaster exposes you and your family to biting insects and harmful sunlight.
- If one or two members of the family are taking medications, don’t forget to include an extra supply for them as well.
Having an emergency survival kit you can rely on upon in times of natural disasters will ensure your life’s safety during emergencies. This is an essential part of ensuring your safety in times of calamities and natural disasters.